This is an interactive, hands-on workshop for farmers to better understand the abundant life in soil. Learn how good soil health can increase yield, reduce fertilizer needs, prevent soil erosion and save money.
- beneficial soils functions (water infiltration and holding capacity, natural fertility, disease suppression and carbon sequestration
- organizms in the soil food web (who eats whom and why it matters)
- requirements of healthy soil ecosystems
- basic soil health principles
- how all the above related to best management practisce, conservation tillage, cover crops and organic amendment
Hand-on excercise will include identifying soil organisms, using a pentrometer and conducting slake and soil infilatration tests. Please bring a one-litre sample of you own soil to view under maginifcation
Advanced registation in reguired for the no-fee session as we need numbers for lunch.
Sarah Midlane-Jones, Bay of Quinte RAP, (613) 395-3915 ex 214, smidlanjonesbqrap.ca, or Matt Caruana Hastings Stewardhip coordinator (613) 391-9034, inohastingsstewardship.ca
Download the programme below.